Saturday 20 August 2016

Coll Half-Marathon 2016

For August's race I chose the iconic Coll half-marathon. Mrs AB had competed in 2013 supported my me & the family. The weather had been atrocious with gale force southwesterly wind battering the island. Happily the forecast was much kinder for 2016!

On our way to the start
This time, we decided to leave them kids at home and use the new return ferry on the Saturday evening to compress the time away.

After work, I met Mrs AB at the Newbridge services  on the Friday evening then drove north to Callander for dinner. We arrived at the Roseview campsite in Oban at 11pm. In bed by 11:20.

Next morning, we drove to the ferry terminal, parked the car and paid our £5 fee for the car park. Thence to the ferry which sailed at 07:15. It was rammed with potential athletes plus a few auctioneer and livestock drivers heading to Tiree.

Uneventful crossing, we disembarked and made our way to Arinagour and the shinty pitch at An Cridhe to pitch the tent. And wait. The sun was hot and we slumbered in the tent reading and waiting. The midges were trying to make their presence known when the breeze lulled.

At 1:15 we headed back down to the pier, sweltering in the hot sun. I found some shade beside the men's toilets to wait until 2pm and the start.

I went off at my normal pace and soon found myself in a small group of three or four men as we left the village and bypassed the first cattle grid. My throat was drying up already so knew I'd be using the next water station. Michelle machine Heterhington overtook at about 4miles and slowly disappeared into the distance. At the airfield, I started to suffer my abdominal pain and had to slow the pace. Fortunately the weather became overcast and I felt some drizzle as we left the tarmac for the sand dunes.

Mrs AB had talked about the sand, but I hadn't expected it to be a vehicle track. When the sand became too deep to run on, I just moved to the grass in the middle for a few paces. Halfway through the dunes, the next 'water' station offered a wee dram & a Jelly Baby. Yes please!! What a laugh.

Back to the tarmac and view of the north coast over to Eigg at about 9miles. Dougie Wainwright overtook me. The turn back towards Arinagour and the air became clammy. I am sure I got midged around here, just as two females over took. I felt I was slipping back a gear and was now on survival mode.

At last I spied the church steeple in the distance - ony a mile to go. Past the hippies at the next cattle grid and water station. Keep going, up a small incline and then there's the 13miler. Donwhill to the village, and I can hear the cheers at the finish. I am the only one in sight, they are cheering for me!

24th Position, 1hr 41

At the 'awards' ceremony at 6pm, the first male vet (over 40) was awarded to the man who had finished behind me. I was robbed!!!!!! :-(

At 7pm we packed up the tent and headed back to the pier stopping for a wee swim on the way. Then caught the ferry back to Oban and the long drive home.




No comments: