Saturday 17 November 2018

Glentress Early Winter Trail Half-Marathon

Saturday 17th November and the running calendar was looking a bit sparse. Either Largo Law Hill race or a return to Glentress. Unfortunately Largo Law entries were closed; I got the impression this was one of those popular iconic races that would be full within hours of entry opening. So back to Glentress it was.

I had previously run the Glentress Half in February 2017 when melting snow had turned the course into a quagmire making it a memorable day. Looking at the route for November 2018, I could see it was different from that race, spending more time to the east of the forest, on more open trails.

The February Half route

The November 2018 route, more time spent in the east

I paid my £25 and headed off down the A703/A72 early on the 17th of November. It was cool, but not too cool. Dry with a light breeze. Unlike 2017, the overflow car park in the farmer's field was open and I parked up in the grid. After trotting up to the Peel to register and get my number, I headed back to the car to change, and eat my flapjack. 

Rather than queue for a portaloo, I found an old oak to pee behind on the edge of the field before heading up to the start. I wore my thermal with my 2017 T-shirt on top, "Here's a veteran!!" 

Up at the start the pre-race briefing was already in progress, but all I could hear was a muffled microphone voice. Everyone had shuffled through the start hoop towards the microphone, but since I was late getting there, when the briefing was over and everyone turned 180, I discovered I was standing near the start. No complaints from me!

Off we went, up the familiar rising vehicle track, everyone settling into a comfortable pace. I passed Jez, Nigel's cousin after a kilometre or so greeting him with "Alright Jez?", he replied "Hi....have a good one!" as I ploughed on. "And you! You'll overtake me I'm sure!" I said. 

On the climb, stripped off the T-shirt not long before
                          

I found myself recognising a lot of the route from 2017, but in reverse and spent time wondering why they had changed it. At 600m we entered the cloud but it was short lived as it was the summit of the climbs. I then spent a good kilometre or so all on my own, or it felt like that, running along the boundary of the forest. It was tricky terrain, very rocky an wet so my pace was reduced. Then a steep, zig-zagging descent to an open vehicle track that was much more level heading back toward the Buzzard's Nest. I took the opportunity for a gel here, and managed to claw back some of the runners that had passed me on the descent. It was clear that was my weakness, descending. 


On the flat, wider trail 4km to go
At the Buzzard's Nest car park, one of the runners I had passed came storming through as if he had a bee in his bonnet. I tried hard to keep up with him, but he was gone through the trees and left me alone again for the familiar descent to the finish. 

I knew what to expect here, having run this section twice before (2016 and 17) and settled into the tree weaving. On the final steepening, I heard shouts and panting behind, two racers came crashing past. Soon enough I was back at the Peel and 'sprinted' up the final rise to the finish hoop. 

Happy to beat Kevin Gemson for the first time, and Jez Edwards for the second time. 

51/441 1hr 51m 03s

No comments: