Sunday 26 June 2016

7hills Challenge 26th June 2016

Waterloo Place, before the sun came out

Finally, after 10years of living on the route, the planets coincided and we got our chance to compete in this iconic race. The premise is simple; start on Calton Hill, run over 6 hills of Edinburgh in order and return to Calton Hill. No set route, you choose but you must pass in the right order.

As we arrived early on the hill, before registration had opened, the weather was cool (12C) with an easterly breeze. We got our bearings and joined forces with Andy & Anja to gather thoughts and selfies.

09:45 arrived, we gathered at the start, and odd start location in the long grass on a slope and with a 5-4-3-2-1 we were off with a cheer. 290 runners.

The Castle passed in a flash, the only short cut option being the arcades onto Cockburn Street. My last recce up the High Street had been marred by coaches of tourists spilling out to the Castle. Thankfully our strength in numbers this time meant some more of a running thoroughfare and after a quick paper punch, I was off down Johnston Terrace.

I overtook a pair of blokes in Bread Street and then didn't see any other competitors for a while. Something was up.

At Roseburn the run up Murrayfield Gardens felt lonely, and at the top I decided to go straight on along Lennel Avenue to Ravelston Dykes rather than left along Campbell Avenue. As I joined RD, another runner passed in front of me. Rats!!

I followed him up Corstorphine Hill  between the golf course and as I reached the tower, I overheard a marshall saying I was in 4th position! Happy Days! Returning to the meadow on the descent, there was now a train of runners - must keep going.

I reached the car park, some dog walkers looked like they were waiting for me to pass left down the track - obviously the other 3 had gone that way. I went my own way down Kaimes Road and was soon on their heels at Old Kirk Road. A hairy crossing of Glasgow Road and then at the cyclepath I passed the mother-in-law who was out to photograph us.

Through Carrick Knowe, Stenhouse and Chesser we were a steady 4 although I could see the fellow in 2nd slowing and being caught by 3. The sun burst through near here and on went the shades. At the Allan Park steps we both caught 2 and overtook him. I was now in 3rd.

Past the tennis courts at Craiglockhart, and then up the tree roots. The guys in 1 and 2 went up the right hand side of the slope, I went left (the way I had gone on recce) and suddenly I was in the lead!

To be First up Craiglockhart felt weird, and a great welcome from the marshalls. Grabbed some gummy bears and stuffed in my mouth before hurtling down to Greenbank and the water station for my first drink.

Through Braidburn Valley Park and left onto Braid Road. The steps up to the hotel were a killer and if I hadn't heard the panting of number 2 behind me I would have stopped for a breather. At the top of the road, the water station was still setting up, I didn't stop but just thanked them for volunteering. Onwards to the summit, a quick stamp and then across the golf course.

As I crossed the fairway, a golf ball bounced along the ground in front of me - quick! run faster and get off this place. Number 2 was on my tail, but didn't seem to be gaining; I wondered if he was just using me and waiting for the final straight to streak past.

I found the Gorse Gutter easily enough and with my trail shoes made light work of it bursting out into the light on Braid Road where a group of mothers and bairns stood waiting at the top of the Lang Linn with a banner for Daddy. Sharp right long the Burn and down to the bridge to pass a load of dogwalkers blocking the way.

Immediately I stopped to walk the Blackford ascent. Number 2 caught me up. Asking him how he was doing I then confirmed my suspicion - he had come all the way up Ravelston Dykes. That meant (since he was going at my pace) that Haymarket is no quicker. I veered off right for the Black-Murray alternative ascent to Blackford - aka the avoidance of the sleeper staircase. Walking and jogging I got out of the trees onto the meadows and saw a huge contingent of supporters/marshalls on the summit. No sign of Number 2.

With 50metres to go he appeared at the trig point to a cheer of applause. Rats again!! However, as I reached the trig, he opted for some water - I opted out and headed off the hill to laughter from the marshalls.

As I approached the infamous Allotment gate my right upper quadrant pain started. Down the steps, a wave to the camera and then a bit of wandering through, not quite sure where I was going. Along West Savile Terrace the pain worsened and I felt my pace dropping. But number 2 was not gaining.

Up Mayfield and past the Cigs, I was definitely flagging. I chose to cross to the east side and doubled over for a 10second break. Meanwhile number 2 continued up the west side. I watched him pass. He was not looking good either, a very slow pace. At Duncan St I passed him again and got across Minto Street just as the lights changed.

In Blacket Place, Susan(?) from the Parkrun shouted support and told us the water station was "Just round the corner!". And so it was, I ran up Dalkeith Road the water in sight.

Two cups and a bit of banter with the marshall, number 2 appeared for some drink too. On we plodded past the Commy and then at the entrance to Pollok Halls, the ground started to rumble, the air crackled and the lightning whoosh of the race leader whizzed past. "Och well," I said, "that's not too bad, I was expecting to be caught about Craiglockhart!".


Hill 6, just after the race leader passed into the distance
I couldn't run any further after the grass, and the stone stairs up Arthur's Seat were really tough going. I just wanted to stop and sit. But the panting of Number 2 was still there and I kept going. "Out the way slow people!" I felt as I squeezed past other hill climbers who had as much right as me to be there.

A few steps short of the left turn I realised Number 2 was no longer behind me. Aha! He's finally succumbed to my stonking pace. But it was not to be. He had gone up the gully, and was just reaching the foot of the final summit dome as I started the traverse left. Rats!! Again!

The summit was hard won, but the rising wind a pleasant cooler. I looked over my shouder and noticed a baldy fellow in a white t-shirt approaching fast. Another racer I presumed.

Me punching on Arthur's Seat, oblivious to the fact I was now in 4th position


Down to the Dry Dam path. Number 2 was 100m ahead now and running hard on the descent. The path was very busy, the busiest I've seen it when running and I had to herald my approach a few times to clear a path. Another racer passed.

As the path levelled out and turned left towards the Parliament my calves started to twitch with cramp which was quite unsettling. Thankfully it looked like Number 2 was suffering the same effect and soon enough I was alongside him talking about cramp as we ran past Holyrood and I overtook again.

More racers streaked past into Calton Road. I kept going up to the footpath which I was looking forward to as a walking break. Near the spot of the path where I'd normally start running again, another competitor passed and we both agreed it was too late to run. I automatically assumed he was a racer, but I now know he was a Challenger...

Up the final hill to Calton, lots of runners passing now. I was spent. They were gone round the corner out of sight.

Onto the grass, a final burst of energy and the adrenaline of the finish led me to the line.

What a race. I loved it. 5th position.

Thanks to Number 2 (whoever you were*) for keeping me going.

*I think he was Simon Beckett #322.




Post Script...Having now reviewed photographs captured around the route, I now see Number 2 and I both dropped to 3 & 4 on the Arthur's seat climb. And then I dropped from 3 to 5 about two hundred metres from the finish.

Next time...I would change three sections of the route:

  1. Braidburn Valley Park
  2. Blackford Hill
  3. Arthur's Seat


The Challenge results are in and I can now reveal that the runner in 4th (5th) position is....

No comments: