Sunday 17 June 2018

Seven Hills of Edinburgh 2018

The start of the Challenge 2018


Here we go again! Chose two alternative options this time. Firstly, coming off Corstorphine, I returned (against the flow of runners) to the Rest and Be Thankful then down the south face to Balgreen Road and up to Hutchison before rejoining the main drag at Slateford. Although I don't think I gained any time doing this, I didn't lose places as I was amongst the same runners who I'd been following up Corstorphine. I had measured this route on MapMyRun and worked it out to be 300m shorter than the traditional Carrick Knowe/Stenhouse option, but the initial run against the flow of runners was tough, and when I was alone on Balgreen Road, I did question myself.

Secondly, coming off Blackford, I descended steeply down grass due north to the pond and round the streets of the Grange to Mayfield Road. Unfortunately this descent started my calves cramping, and I had to stop at one of the road corners to stretch them.

Coming out of the Gutted Haddie on Arthur's Seat onto more level ground caused my calves to go into spasm. I seethed in pain and rolled onto my back clutching them. They felt like grapefruits. After some struggling, I managed to stretch them out, and walked slowly to the summit. I was so pumped with nervous adrenaline but gingerly descended to the Dry Dam path and jogged slowly to the tarmac.

The rest of the race was a bit of a struggle, and I had to walk up the road onto Calton. I did manage to run up the grass, where Andy was waiting to film my arrival and my PB!


102/213   2hr17m54s

No comments: