Tuesday 3 July 2018

Earlston Black Hill Race

I found this race on the Scottish Hill Racing website, and it looked like the kind of midweek evening jaunt that might be interesting. Organised by Earlston Rotary committee as part of their gala week, I researched the route as much as I could beforehand.

Parking in the village was easy, and the weather was gorgeous, if a little hot. I watched the kids race, which was won by a very strong lad, minutes in front.

Eventually it was the senior race, and after a wee pause to get the traffic to stop, we were off. I recognised Andy Spenceley from the LAMM, and targeted his heels. The race exits the village to the east, before heading up fields towards the hill. After 3km the hill arrived, and everyone began walking, hands on knees up the very steep grass. I thought I was working hard, but noticed Andy Spenceley had disappeared into the distance near the top of the 140m climb and other racers were gradually passing me.

Thankfully I summited, and headed east on the wonderful descent with spectacular views over the Borders in late evening sun. Then a circuit of the hill, before rejoining the field tracks and back to the village. Hitting the tarmac again after 7km, my legs felt a bit weird, but after a few correcting paces was on my way. Finished 27/79 45m0s

No comments: