Monday 20 May 2019

Balerno Rigg Race

I first heard of this race from Kevin Gemson's Strava feed and also knew of it via Craig Stewart who as a member of the local running club (Harmeny) seemed to be part of the organisers. The race being on a Monday evening meant that it would clash with any training plan as Sunday's are usually big days and Monday a rest, but with some juggling it was doable.

I headed up to Balerno arriving at 18:30 and parked outside the entrance to the school on the main road. There were already a few cars in the same spot. I walked along to the entrance to the Rugby ground Malleny Park and followed signs into the clubhouse to pick up my number. A chap I was following along the road was warmly greeted by one of the marshalls. It seemed the chap had run at the London Marathon, in 2h25min which was incredible.

I returned to the car to tog-up and take on some last minute water. A few runners trotted past on their warm-ups. Eventually it was time to head along to the start and I made sure to run a wee bit. Round the back of the clubhouse were the rugby pitches with plenty of club runners warming up. I headed to the start line when told, and lined up perhaps 30 places back. Lots of club vests and groups of friends.

There was a short briefing before a minute's wait for the hooter that would be blown by this year's Gala Queen. Then we were off for the long two mile uphill towards Threipmuir. I found the climb easier than expected and managed to settle in a steady group.

Powering up the hill - ahem. 


Turning right, the ground levelled off and the road was almost straight for a mile or so. Passing the water station just before 3miles, I ignored the cups and set my mind on catching the female in front. Slowly I gained on her until almost on her heels at the turn back towards Balerno. I posed for the camera at the turn.

About to catch Morag McClelland (maybe)

Who's the nobber in the new vest?
But the turn heralded the start of the descent back to Balerno and the female switched up a gear, very quickly disappearing into the distance. I tried hard to chase, and on the downhill it was fantastic running. I passed the 4mile marker and my watch beeped to tell me I'd just broken my mile record - 6mins1second!

I couldn't keep up that pace though and started to struggle on the flatter sections of the return to town. Thankfully there was good support on the pavements and I kept it going. More downhill into Johnsburn Road and finally a wee chicane into Malleny Park for a sprint finish.

I was fairly spent, but happy to see only a small group of 24 over the line ahead of me, mostly club runners. I gratefully took my goody bag and devoured the water therein. What a haul in that bag for such a wee race - very impressive.

Results were posted within a few hours, maybe even that evening. Photos the following day.

25 / 188 00:39:46

No comments: