Sunday 26 May 2019

Cateran Trail Run

A few years ago, my good friend Dave had introduced me to this corner of the country and the interesting Cateran Trail. With another friend, the three of us walked from Alyth to Blairgowrie via Bridge of Cally. On the way, we passed through the Bamff Estate and saw the incredible impact of the beavers on the landscape, well documented elsewhere.

The Cateran Trail is a circular route near the Perthshire/Angus border and in the foothills of the Cairngorm glens. Plenty of established tracks and associated furniture of gates and styles, but also some wilder sections on the higher ground.

I knew there was an Ultra race on the Cateran Trail for the superheroes, but also discovered a shorter (18km) version that would take place a couple of weeks afterwards, starting in the hamlet of Kirkton of Glenisla and finishing in Alyth itself. The race was organised as part of a three day festival in the village called Alyth Creates and it included some detailed route information. It looked great!

Unfortunately Sunday 26th May was not great weather however. I set off from home at 7am and sploshed up the soaking M90 keeping the speed down to avoid aqua-planing through Fife. I passed the aftermath of a RTA not far from Kinross which I learned later had been fatal.

I parked in the street outside Alyth Primary school where I'd seen a few other runner types. Then wandered inside out of the drizzle to pick up my race number. At 9am the 72 runners boarded two ancient coaches that were waiting in the car park. Lots of nervous chatter, but also local club runners who all seemed to know the route and race.

The weather was pretty miserable and we headed up Strathisla criss-crossing the River Isla which was brown with torrents of spate water. Fields were sodden and it was clear that the running was going to be pretty heavygoing. After 35mins we pulled into the small car park in Kirkton. Most jumped off into the rain to make a final toilet stop. I waited until 09:50, then headed out. I did a short warm-up along the road and eventually made my way across the footbridge over the Isla to the start.

Since the race would be on a trail, it was not exactly wide so early positioning would be crucial. I negotiated my way to the back of the stick insects and listened to the race briefing. I noticed the guy next to me had a full racing pack, a map case, hat, gloves. "Holy Moley I hope I've not taken this too lightly" I thought. Well, no I didn't. He just looked over-equipped. OK, I had a map in my bag, but nothing else other than water & a gel.

The start of the race was a steep climb for about 100m to a cairn. I managed to overtake a few here at the same time as taking off my jacket (since I was roasting and the rain had almost stopped). From the top, we crossed a moor and through a small stream to join a LR track in a forest. This was fast downhill and I managed to get past a couple more before crossing a shooglie style and settling into a pace.

For the next 3 or 4kms we were on a relatively flat LR track heading south through farmland. I was able to slowly gain on a young guy (Kevin Thomson) in front who was wearing a large blue cag and a hat that he kept removing and replacing as the race went on. I caught him up and had a wee chat - he told me it was his first race! First race???? Wow I was super impressed, not only to take on a 18km wet trail run as his first race, but also to be performing so well. OK we weren't at the front, but we were up the field.

On a descent to the first water station, I took the lead and managed to stretch beyond him. Then it was offtrack and up the side of a field. This was about 9km in, so once onto flatter ground I took the opportunity to eat my gel and sup some water.

As the race went on, I realised I was out on my own with the gap opening behind me. This felt pretty unusual and I even had visions of catching the runner in white that I could see a long way ahead. I made sure to keep up the pace without slipping on wet styles or falling into the muddy slop at the edge of each field.

Into Bamff estate I started to recognise the terrain from my walk there years back, but also started to wonder if I was on the right route. No-one in sight behind or in front, no signs for a while, and hardly any footprints in the mud. Either I was off route or I was near the front!!

As I left the avenue of sodden trees to the north of Hill of Alyth, there was a woman with child holding open a gate for me. "Keep going!" she said. I was also sure I heard her say "You're in 3rd". Oh my God...this is amazing!!!! Surely I can't be in 3rd?? (I was actually in 5th). The climb onto Hill of Alyth was fun as it wove a way through the gorse and wet grass. At every junction was a black arrow on white background, with longer sections marked with canes and red/white tape.

The mist was thickening at this higher altitude and visibility poor. I reached a path junction. The sign was pointing straight between the two forks. What I didn't notice was the sign was on the RHS of the path and with experience, this would have indicated to take the right fork. But my mind decided to go left as this way was to higher ground; I knew we had to pass a triangulation pillar so assumed we should still be climbing. It was the wrong way.

After 200m I realised my error and diverted to get back to the route. Unfortunately an area of gorse lay in front of me and I frantically battled for 150m through it until stumbling back onto the path. My legs were in tatters and I had splinters in my hands. A look down the path revealed my chaser closing fast. I had lost a lot of distance so set off at a canter to get away from him, but he gave as good as I could and kept on my heels all the way to the trig.

The descent from the summit to the first gate was harum-scarum, a fantastic wild run down grassy tracks. I held the gate open for him which was galling. Onto a vehicle track now thundering down towards Alyth. A final metal gate, now I had a decent gap and then onto tarmac, feet slapping on the wet road. At this point my chaser caught me and flew past, he was on a mission and there was nothing I could do to challenge it.

I let him go and just continued at my best pace, thanking each of the marshalls as we turned a few corners into the village, over the footbridge and sprint to finish where a brass band was mid blow.

I shook hands with my chaser - Connor Boylam and was happy to see only a handful of other finishers through. I assumed I was top 10 but only found out 3days later when the results were published.

Great race, really enjoyed it despite the conditions, or maybe because of the conditions! But I was frustrated to have made that error on Hill of Alyth. I think I lost about one minute, so would have come in 5th.

6 / 71 01:33:12




Relive 'Cateran Trail Race (mud)'


       

No comments: