Sunday 16 June 2019

Seven Hills 2019

Hallelujah! The highlight of my running year has arrived again! I absolutely love this race and everything that goes with it. I made sure to wear my long-sleeved T to work on the Friday in an attempt to promote the race - everyone from Edinburgh should do it once in their lives! Ha Ha I doubt that will ever happen.

As with the weather so far this 'summer' there was no certainty on the forecast with showers predicted at some point in the day, and the previous week had seen some heavy periods of rain. On the Saturday, I had done a 5 pub crawl down the Water of Leith and seen the river in high levels, the Gormley at Stockbridge with various pieces of vegetation washed downstream and caught around his legs. This meant trail shoes were a must as the 'wilder' sections of the route would be muddy and slippy. The temperature was set to be 14C ish, not too bad.

Waiting for the Challenge start - all smiles
I watched the start of the Challenge race at 09:45, pleased to see the Sheach family at the back recording on their GoPros. I couldn't see Sally anywhere in the pack.

The Challenge start
I then spent the next few mins getting changed, taking on water, fuel and going for a pee before meeting AJ and Anya. Off we trotted to the start line for the 10:15 countdown and we were running.

Down the steps still running and I took a central route up the North Bridge and through the Arcades onto the hoaching High Street. Another pb segment. At the castle, the route through the gardens was closed due to rockfall so all runners were directed down the Johnston Terrace steps. I queued to clip my number, oblivious to the fact there were clippers all the way down the railings of the steps. Grrr. Some time wasted there.

Johnston Terrace to Haymarket passed in a blur, Lothian Road lights working in my favour. On the bus during the week, I had spotted the SGN works at Roseburn which looked like they would interfere with a smooth line on the traditional north side of the road. After Haymarket I tried to stay on the left (south) side of the road with that in mind, but was forced to cross by some other roadworks I'd not accounted for. As I passed the Roseburn Inn, I made sure to cross back south anyway and a guy in green (Mike Milner) that I had passed earlier had followed me and we both crossed back to the north pavement as soon as we were through the roadworks. No idea if that gave us an advantage, but mentally I felt it did.

Onwards to Murrayfield Road and the long slog up to Ravelston Dykes. Mike overtook me here but I kept him in sight as I spied Daisy Henderson walking down the opposite pavement. Onto Corstorphine Hill and it was chaos with people running in all directions, I've not seen it so messy before. After punching my number, I was pleased to see Kevin Gemson BEHIND me. That was a first - I shouted encouragement to him.

Down to Kaimes Road and some fast foot slapping past the house. Before I reached it, I could hear Meg barking from behind the gate and saw AB#2 with the video camera.

An easy crossing of Glasgow Road without waiting and into Carrick Knowe avenue where I caught the first of the obvious Challengers who were walking. Ahead of me up the straight road were runners of all paces. I settled into a rhythm, not following or chasing anyone in particular.

At the steps beyond the tram crossing, I took the wee path to the side and managed to gain a couple of places, even though one of them leapt down each group of 4 stairs like a loony. He muttered something about "That is not a good idea when recovering from an ankle injury." I just laughed. Through Stenhouse Cross round the roundabout on the left and into Chesser. I ran on the road as is my preference and managed to overtake a few more Challengers.

Checking the watch, I could see we were approaching 10km in and it was time for a gel. I took the opportunity at the slowdown of climbing the steps into Allan Park Drive and slurped it down before I reached the canal over the bridge.

The Craiglockhart Hill climb was the busiest I've experienced it, loads of people scrabbling up the roots and mud which was also the slippiest. One chap above me fell on his arse near the top, but without injury. I wanted to try running all the way to the summit, but once beyond the new steps onto the grass, I couldn't resist the walk and joined the crowd of zombies huffing their way towards the sun.

Once I'd stamped my number, I was on my way again and thundered down the track through the trees. I noticed Kate Crichton ahead and made sure to give her a shout. She had no idea who I was so I tried to remind her. At the water station I turned sharp right and took the wee shortcut through the arch in front of the houses; another wee mental advantage.

Greenbank and the Fly Walk passed without event and it was onto the grass of Braidburn Valley Park, slowing to a walk on the path up to Comiston Road. After jogging across I also dropped to a walk up Riselaw...a bit defeatist. At the Braids water station I ignored the water again, and hammered up the track passing as many as people as I could before it narrowed. But once again I felt defeat and slowed to a walk at any of the 'steeper' bits. Quite a few Racers passing me here.

I had to wait for a clipper on the summit - there only seemed to be two of them which was a bit annoying. Onto the golf course, setting free but knowing the wee gorse snicket ahead would likely be busy. I was not wrong, and had to drop the pace behind a group in front of me who were taking it slower than I'd want.


Free from the confines of the gorse snicket, about to enter the Lang Linn

Across the road and into the Lang Linn, as soon as the path widened I elbowed my way past and floored it to the T-junction. A wee jink left and then into the steep cross-slope slither down to the river. As expected, it was muddy and I did well to not skite down like others had clearly done with skid marks in the slope. I ran along the main path to the right alongside the Braidburn for a few metres until I was opposite the path I had spotted the week before. Splash across the burn and then up the path, initially muddy and I passed one bloke struggling through it.

Suddenly I was over the fence and into the field very close to the gate to Blackford and now the steps of punishment. I took my time, ignoring others and soon enough the punishment was over. Turning left, I jogged to the nettle snicket, walking up behind another guy, happy that most of the nettles and brambles had now been beaten back by others.

The summit seemed busy, but with no-one clipping. I think most were taking on water and fuel or looking at the view. I clipped and carried on straight down the northside managing to avoid slipping on my backside through the trees and onto the bottom track. Across the road and into Oswald Road obeying the roadwork barriers. Turning right into South Oswald Road and my lonely (1km flat) run towards Mayfield Road. I think I could hear some gaining feet behind me as I reached Mayfield but was otherwise alone until the turn left and rejoining the throng.

I realised Mike in the green t-shirt was beside me again, I asked him how he was doing as we puffed up towards the Old Bell. He said good, but then asked what time we were aiming for. I told him I wanted to beat 2hr17 and he thought that was definitely going to happen. Good encouragement and into Duncan St and Blacket Place, only pausing briefly for the traffic to pass in Minto Steeet. Mike was getting ahead now, so I decided it was time for another gel before Arthur's Seat.

Round the corner of the Commie Pool and past Pollock. A runner suddenly appeared on the top of the 8ft wall beside me and slipped down onto the pavement. I laughed and he said "That is not a shortcut!!"

The Gutted Haddie on Arthur's Seat was very busy, choked by three or four non-Seven Hillers which was slightly frustrating. I managed to get past them eventually and continue to the summit WITHOUT CRAMP!!!!! I was so pleased.

Slipping on the polished basalt, I got down the north side safely and into the Dry Dam path which appeared to be full of tourists further ahead. I tried to look as fast and crazy as possible as I approached and to my fortune, they stepped aside at my approach and I had a clear descent. Onto the tarmac, past the Parliament and Palace then into Calton Road. I spotted Mike in front again so put the foot down to catch him just as he turned into the steps up to Regent Road.

Up Calton he kept running whereas I slowed to a walk on the road but managed to run again for the final grassy slope to the finish line where Sally and Anja were waiting. I stopped the watch - 2h08!!!!! Yassssssss! I howled a cry of happiness. Yah beauty smashed it.

02:08:41 49 / 196

No comments: