Wednesday 5 June 2019

CAAC5

I had enjoyed the annual 'sprint' round Turnhouse in 2018 a couple of weeks after Copenhagen so made sure to enter for this year's event. The only difference this year was the weather wasn't so summer-like. It rained off and on throughout the day and when I arrived on site, it was about 13C. This year the club were using chip timing so when collecting my number, I was given a plastic clip for my shoelaces containing the chip.

As expected there were scores of vests and familiar club runners milling about at the industrial estate on the Turnhouse Road, pinning numbers on, stretching, warming up. The road was much busier than before, I think the airport freight terminal is busier these days. Unfortunately the CAAC can't close the road so there need to be plenty of yellow-vested marshalls to shepherd the runners and traffic apart.

I positioned myself about 80 back from the start, knowing those in front were definitely all faster than me. The starting gun fired and there was a shock of "Oooohs" before we shuffled over the start line. Everyone into a very fast pace immediately and we thundered west.

Heading west


The field spread out quite quickly and I didn't feel hemmed in. I wasn't really aware of much overtaking of me, but I very slowly crept past a few other runners. The Alpe de Cammo was fun both on the way up and down the other side. I started to struggle a bit on Cammo Walk and some people passed me. On Craigs Road after a CAAC runner overtook me easily, I tried harder to keep on his heels and just about managed the feat to the finish. Only one other runner passed me.

I was very happy to find I had achieved a significant PB knocking 49seconds off last year's time.

00:33:21 78 / 223

No comments: