Saturday 5 October 2019

Penicuik House Trail Race

Sparse Runner had first introduced me to the grounds of Penicuik House in 2018 when I was looking for some Mountain Marathon advice as we prepared for the LAMM in Harris. As a member of the Penicuik Harriers running club, he was well aware of plans by the club to organise a 10km trail race in the grounds of the estate and he had previously shared the route online.

Unfortunately by the time he told me the inaugural 2018 race entries were open, it was full. I made a mental note to get in early for the 2019 event.

Over the next year, I made sure to run the course myself and even persuaded Sally along for one of them. Saturday 5th October was dry, but as per usual it had been chucking it down on the Friday and I knew we were in for a mudfest. On the way to Penicuik, I listened to England hump Argentina in the final pool games of the RWC2019 on FiveLive. A red card was awared to an Argentinian player as I parked up to register at Alderbank.

On the start line, nobody wanted to stand at the front, and the race marshall shouted at us. I stood forward. Eventually some stick insects also came forward and we eyed each other up. The race marshall reminded us of the course record - 39mins. I wouldn't be threatening that.

The whistle blew and off we went. Three guys went hurtling off at breakneck pace and were soon out of sight round the twists and turns of the ascending forest track. As expected, the mud was formidable and we sploshed along the top track trying hard not to slip and slide.

Along the top path

I judged the descent to the river well and kept my place and even managed to pass a baldy feller in a luminous yellow top on the way towards the main house.

Onto the tarmac I was going well, but a Westie passed me on the next ascent towards the walled garden. I kept up my pace through the woods turning sharp right back onto the tarmac briefly before passing the tower/doocot and over many slippy tree roots.

The descent to the river was very muddy indeed and a marshall warned us. I took it easy and lost two places to the first female and the guy in yellow. On the flat back to the ROman bridge, I regained those places and crossed the bridge to wave at the bagpiper with them on my heels. We stayed in that formation for the killer climb back to the top path and with 800m to go I was still ahead.

Just exiting the killer climb, first female on my heels

But...

I felt a loosening in one of my shoes and tried to ignore it. It got worse. I looked down and saw a flapping lace. Arrgghhhhhh. I knew the descent to the finish was loose and windy, not a place to be racing with an untied shoe. I could hear the breathing of my chasers behind me. I stepped to the side and stopped as they came flying past. Feck. Quick tying and off I went, I absolutely belted along to catch up the 50m they'd made. I got on their heels, but then the descent began and they stretched away (I'm no good at descending).

00:45:02 7/78  (would have been 5th save for my lace!!!)





No comments: