Saturday 28 September 2019

Two Breweries Hill Race

Like an unclimbed Munro or Corbett that I've stared at on the map or in guidebooks, this race has dwelled at the back of my conciousness for a long time. Not surprising since it has been going for 36 years, but I've known of it for a while and wondered if I would ever do it. I actually entered in 2017, and during the summer of that year had done two recces of the route, returning to the car on bike. Unfortunately on the 2nd recce, when descending from Trahenna I had badly sprained my ankle in the heather. That year, my main race goal had been the Kielder Trail Marathon in October so with the 2BHR at the end of September, I decided the risk of injury was too high to jeopardise my marathon.

This year, having completed the Islay Marathon at the start of September, my year was now free to enter the 2BHR. 300 entrants is the limit for the race on EntryCentral, and when I signed up in the 2nd week of September, there were still at least a hundred places left. I bought a new pair of trail shoes (Hoka Torrent) after the SCW run and made sure to run in them as often as possible. Runs of note included the RedMoss Kips once evening, and a long (22km) run home from work over Blackford, Braid, Caerketton, Allermuir and Capelaw.

Race week arrived and keeping an eye on the forecast watched it change from stormy rain to dry and bright. Fortunately, it settled on the latter by Friday 27th September and I felt confident I'd be keeping the 'waterproofs' in the bag during the race. The race organiser mentioned the race was being used as a 'Scottish Hill Runners' counter meaning it would have a greater attendance than normal. Since the race base would be at the Primary School this year, he said that parking in Broughton would be at a premium. I contacted Ian Bradley who I knew was also running and arranged to car share with him.

Ian and I arrived in Broughton around 9:15 and he blethered away meaning we arrived at the buses as they were ready to leave. I grabbed a seat beside a fellow Sprocker owner from West Linton and had a good chat on the 50mins to Traquair. At the House, we politely queued up to register and then Ian and I met in the tearoom for a seat.

At 11:50 we were called for the 'EQUIPMENT CHECK!" which consisted of 10 runners being chosen to stand in a row, then runner numbers from 1 to 10 taking their bags up for inspection, then 11 to 20 and so on. Efficient, but I'm not so convinced of the thoroughness of the check.

At noon precisely, we were given the off. Up the grass and gradually across to the driveway since the famous Bear Gates would never be opened. The mile of tarmac was a good way to separate the field quickly and soon enough there were dozens of runners off in the distance. I held my pace, but passed a couple of slower folk.

Turn left onto the farm track and then the long climb to Birkscairn. The field separated even further now, and once I was into the bracken boundary that had caused so much trouble on my recce, I was on the heels of one guy, but no-one in view in front of him, and no-one behind.

Onto the hill path and I was overtaken by a fast baldy fella and a female who seemed capable of running up the steepest inclines even if walking was the same pace (as I did). I noticed I could overtake her on the flatter sections and maintain her pace on the uphill, but as soon as we hit the descent off the first checkpoint at Birkscairn, she stretched ahead.

The weather was pretty blustery and cold on the summit, and I made sure to thank the three or four marshalls with Arctic gear on taking our numbers as we passed.

The descent into Glen Sax didn't go too well as I had followed the female, who in turn had followed the runner ahead. We had gone the direct route rather than heading north and west to the grouse butts. This meant knee high heather to leap through and I noticed 3 runners haring down the hill past the grouse butts and overtaking us.

Quick splash through the river and past more marshalls before the long, steep climb to Hundlestone. I took the opportunity for my first gel here and noticed other runners doing the same as we plodded up the grass. After the CP at the trig point, it was back to a jog across the bog and focus in on the sheep trod along the hillside towards Stob Law. The 'path' was a balcony of mud, knee deep mud in some places and my pace dropped significantly. The female was now long gone, and I had other backs to focus on.

Descending off Stob Law was a bit of a lesson in hill running, I lost at least five places as the experts came careering past hurling down the short heather. I was mincing down the rough ground, paranoid about twisting my ankle on a stone or tussock. The farm track could not arrive quick enough and I voiced relief at the flat expanse in front of me. Perhaps 100m ahead I could see the last of the runners who had overtaken on the descent and realised I was quickly gaining on him. I passed him as we left the farm yard at Glenrath and he looked over his shoulder exclaiming,

"Spot the road runner!!"

I just laughed and said I much preferred the flat.

I overtook another three runners before we left the tarmac and headed towards the forested Whitelaw Hill. On the ascent I gobbled another gel, concious of the closing climbers behind. I was also very worried about getting lost hereabouts. I had got lost on my recce here, and Ian had told me some horrendous stories. Ahead I could see two Westies runners so cranked hard to keep them in sight. Perfectly I caught them just as they turned into the firebreak and I was on their heels for the awful slog to the hill summit.

I was spent here and struggled to get into a run even across the flat section towards the Dead Wife's grave. More runners coming past and down the slop to the road at Stobo Castle. The sun was out now and I watched a bearded runner streak past and then lead me on past the checkpoint off the road and into the next section.

I could see he was struggling like me, slowing to a walk on any ground that resembled a gradient as we plodded along a forest track. For me it was 60% mental here, I think I could have kept jogging but my mind wasn't in it. Looking over my shoulder, there was no-one visible; I think if there had been, I would have kept the speed up but I was beaten.

Over the dam and onto the open hillside to start the climb of hell aka Trahenna. All sorts of options here. On my recce I had taken the wrong shoulder, so that was out. Ian said go right of the trees but I had seen Stewart Whitlie's route from 2018 went left. Someone else online had suggested going left and over Louden Knowe was better ground due to some ATV tracks he had followed.

In the end I was overtaken by three very strong looking 'walkers' (2 males & a female) who were in train going left of the trees. I followed them and we contoured round Louden Knowe which was not as bad as expected before starting the real climb of Trahenna alongside the fence. This was truly awful. I was able to climb, but not fast and was acutely concious of the disappearing climbers ahead with the closing climbers behind.

It took me 12minutes. The only respite was the voices on the wind of the marshalls on the summit getting louder and louder as I slogged my way ever upwards, clinging onto the rusty fence at times. Over the style and past the checkpoint before starting the descent. First of all NW, then left W onto a horrible contouring sheep track that avoided Cat Cleuch Head. Of course I rolled my left ankle here and waved at yet another runner overtaking me.

Off Ratchill Hill the ground was hard rocky and mossy. I slipped at least twice before reaching more level ground. I noticed my hands and arms were starting to tingle with pins and needles. Not a good sign. As I passed the marshall holding open the farm gate into the next field, the tingling spread to my face and lips. It was an odd sensation and slightly perturbing.

Over yet another gate and Alan Robb from Carnethy clambered over with me before trotting off to the road. Tarmac at last, now for the last km to the finish. Jogging for 300m, I slowed to a brief walk, looked over my shoulder and then ran again. Onto the main road I received a new lease of life and cranked it up to the finish, making sure to trip on a kerb for good measure.

03:57:22 72/179

No comments: